Thursday, October 29, 2015

Back From Bird Camp

The dogs and I got home from the camp last night, all of us tired and worn out. This trip was with a few friends of mine, where they took turns gunning (two at a time) while I handled the dogs. We had done this last year and they loved it so much they came back for more.
The birds were very hard to come by, as they have been all season. We were hitting some of the best looking coverts we'd ever seen only to find them bare. Chunk saved the day for us on the first day though when in the last covert we hunted, he had seven woodcock and two partridge finds. The setters found a few earlier in the day, but really had to work hard doing it, as we all did. That was the only day I believe, that we had a double digit flush rate.
The story for me though this trip was all about Chunk. He is really developing into quite the gun dog, boldly hitting coverts and covering them completely. He seems to have figured out that we are a team, both working toward a common goal. He displays an intuition I have not experienced before in a dog, where he seems to know what I want him to do and then does it before I tell him. He is just so darned fun to hunt with.
As usual, the food was great and the beverages plentiful. The guys really out did themselves with the meals they prepared. Only in a hunting camp can you spend all day covering several miles and still gain weight.
There is still plenty of season still to go. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment