Monday, October 31, 2016

Home Again

Another week up at the camp is in the books. I got some bird hunting in, a little bit of work done, and enjoyed some quiet nights reading by the fire. I spent one of the days on a run up to Baxter and saw a snow covered Katahdin, looking splendid and majestic.

The Setters continue to hunt really well for me. and I couldn't help but reflect on how it doesn't seem all that long ago that Laurie and I were working them on check-cords and introducing them to birds. Now they hunt at a comfortable range, are steady on their birds and just make for a really enjoyable hunt.

Chunk is Chunk, no other way to describe it. He's lovable, energetic and eager to please. He doesn't fuss, doesn't complain and is always ready to go. He is fun and easy to hunt with. All I need is a whistle and a gun and we're off.

Although we haven't been finding a great number of birds, we did find enough to keep things fun and interesting. The dogs get every bit of the credit for that. As usual my shooting could have been better, but I still managed to spray enough shot into the air to be successful.

As I started the drive for home, I hadn't gotten very far when four grouse flew across my path giving me the single digit salute. Oh well, I'll get them next year. The rest of this season will be spent hunting the home coverts and enjoying more of the outdoors and the dogs.

Enjoy your Autumn,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment