Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What My Cocker Pup Taught Me Today

Another funny Chunk story:

Usually on our walks whenever a car goes by Chunk knows he has to Hup (spaniel speak for sit). Today I brought along a whistle so that I could work in several repetitions of Hup to whistle, as I continue to get that ingrained into that magnificent head of his, prior to our upcoming steadiness training. Heel, Hup, Heel Hup, repeatedly for the duration of the two mile walk.

At one point during our walk, as a car was coming up from behind us I noticed Chunk's attention turn away from me to behind me, in the direction of the car, then back to me then back behind. He was clearly getting agitated, because, I believe, he knew he should be Hupped by now. When the car finally appeared over a rise in the road, he sat but before I blew the whistle. I then did give a pip on the whistle, so as to avoid any confusion for him, to let him know he did the right thing.

That was my thought process...

The car went by, I released him and he came to me reached up and started licking my hands giving kisses, wagging his tail while wiggling all over and acting like he was so very proud of me for pipping the whistle, proving that I had learned HIS command...

That was his thought process. :)

Dogs are just amazing creatures. I realize it's not just Chunk. Every dog owner out there has similar stories regardless of breed or purpose; things they can do, tricks they know, etc.or other behaviors in and around the home, even some that might be taken for granted. Let's hear about them. Tell us about your dogs.

Enjoy Your Dogs,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment